Who is the School Nurse?
- A registered nurse (RN) licensed to practice nursing by the New York State Board of Nursing.
- A professional who practices in accordance with current state laws and professional standards of School Nursing as defined by the National Association of School Nurses (NASN)
A nursing professional who advocates for children's health and safety within the educational setting.
- Please note that in accordance with New York State Laws, a registered nurse cannot diagnose patients; only a medical doctor can.
What expertise does the School Nurse have?
- Pediatric, public health and mental health nursing with keen health promotion, assessment and referral skills.
- Knowledge of educational and health laws which impact children.
- Specific strategies for the delivery of health education.
What services does the School Nurse provide?
- Illness, injury and mental health assessments and interventions
- Identification, assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of student health concerns.
- Health assessments during nursing visits.
- Vision, hearing and scoliosis screenings.
- Specialized pediatric nursing procedures.
- Chronic disease management.
- Administration of medication.
- Immunization compliance.
- Health curriculum recommendations.
- Member of the crisis team; member of the health and safety team.
- Health education and patient teaching.
- Training unlicensed personnel with acceptable delegated tasks as governed by the State of New York.
- Nutrition recommendations.
- Acts as a liaison within the school community / health care providers.
What difference does a school nurse make?
- Health issues are minimized, which have a direct impact on classroom success.
- Health concerns are addressed from teachers and support staff.
- Parents' have reasonable reassurance that their child's health needs are appropriately managed during the school day.
- A healthy and safe environment for students and staff is ensured in collaboration with school administrators.
Click on picture below to email me
For answers to all of your questions regarding school health,